There were two great events the first weekend in August at Windmill Corner near Ridgefield, WA. Saturday the 4th was the Windmill Corner Barn Warming hosted by mtribe and verano. We arrived a bit early and after parking our motor home, headed into Ridgefield to grab a few caches. When we returned an hour or so later, the crowd had started to arrive, and they just kept coming. It was one of the largest events we have ever attended. The hosts provided hamburgers and hot dogs to go along with lots of potluck dishes brought by attendees. There was live bluegrass music provided by Mountain Honey to accompany the caching conversations. There were also games to play and the evening wound down with a movie projected on the back of the Windmill Barn. After the movie and some smores near the fire pit, we retired to the motor home to get some sleep before the morning event.
5:30 came awfully early it seemed, but Mrs Spitfire arose to attend the Vancouver Sunrise 2018 event while I checked out the inside of my eyelids. Roughly 30 cachers either spent the night or got up even earlier to make it to the event and they were treated to coffee, muffins, a chili relleno breakfast casserole and a nice sunrise with friends.
The following Saturday, August 11th was the GEOregon Meet and Greet. We’ve been exploring new venues this year and decided to try out The Rock Woodfired Pizza in Hillsboro (thanks Purple Joker for setting this up). The event was very well attended to the point that the upstairs space (which did present some problems) was packed to almost standing room only. There were several first timers in attendance including a family visiting from Germany. Following are some of the highlights of the announcements made at the event:
- Volunteers are needed to help with the upcoming picnic
- We need a couple of propane bbq’s and tools and cooks for the hamburgers and hotdogs
- The Potluck food list is based upon the first letter of your geocaching name
- A – G: Chips and Dips
- H – P: Salad or side dish
- Q – Z: Dessert or cookies or something else sweet
- Golden tickets for the special raffle at the picnic are being placed in caches all around the greater Portland Vancouver area – keep an eye out for them
- Election of officers for the 2019 GEOregon Board of Directors will be coming up soon. Summary job descriptions were passed out in hopes of attracting some great candidates from our wonderful group of local caching enthusiasts. Please consider giving back to our hobby by participating on the board of directors of GEOregon or nominating someone you know that will help provide good direction for the future of our organization. The only requirement to being nominated is that you must have been a paid member of GEOregon for at least 6 months.
Many thanks to The Rock Woodfired Pizza for the good food and great service.
Sunday morning, August 18th was the Friends of the Frog event at Commonwealth Lake Park in Beaverton, OR. Mrs Spitfire attended while I played around with race cars again. It was another very well attended event, and Mrs Spitfire said it was great to connect with the reviewers and the HQ lackeys. Numerous pathtags were exchanged along with a lot of travelers. After the event several of the reviewers joined with some of the attendees in an impromptu cooperative puzzle solving session.
Upcoming Geocaching Events:
August 18, 2018 – International Geocaching Day – Earn a souvenir by logging a geocache or geocaching event on this day.
August 25, 2018 – GC7TF5X – 2018 Albany Challenge VIII – Allann Bros warehouse, Albany – Note, this is a one-day event.
September 8, 2018 – GC7RWRB – GEOregon Annual Picnic at Summer Lake Park, Tigard. Like all of our events, this is open to all, you don’t need to be a member to attend
September 14-16, 2018 – Fourth Annual Cache Dash Splash weekend – Long Beach, Washington. This year there will be five separate geocaching events as follows: Friday evening (The Dining Car – GC7P2P7), Saturday morning (All Aboard – GC7P336), Saturday evening (Tickets Please! (GC7P33H), Sunday morning (Whistle Stop Breakfast (GC7KCYZ), and a Sunday CITO event (The Caboose – GC7PG6W)
September 23, 2018 – GC7RKAB – Meet Mithrandir #2: The Fellowship of the States – Pioneer Courthouse Square
October 10, 2018 – GC7VTPQ – World Zombie Day – McMenamins on Broadway
If you enjoy attending GEOregon sponsored events and want to give back to the local caching community, please help support us by joining or renewing your paid membership to GEOregon. We cannot make these events happen without you. Thank you.